مدرسة أوبا - english-language-courses-(دورات-اللغة-الإنجليزية-العامة) - المستوى-ما-بعد-المتوسط-6a
English Language Courses
An Overview of the Level
This level contains two sub-levels which are:
- The Upper-Intermediate Level 6A which is related to the information in the next sections
- The Upper-Intermediate Level 6B which is NOT related to the information in the next sections
The OBA School Upper-Intermediate Level was designed for students with a good grasp on the intermediate level of the English language. This level aims to enhance students’ abilities to speak in English as well as write well for work or study purposes in an English-speaking surrounding.
If you are willing to work at an institution which uses the English language, live in an English-speaking country, or study a course taught in English at the pre-university level, then the Upper-Intermediate Level 6 course is one of the best ways for you to achieve that. Passing this course, which is equivalent to the FCE Cambridge qualification, will stand witness to your ability to write reports and short emails well as well as express and explain ideas and have detailed discussions in English. It will also prove that you are capable of understanding common English used on the television and in newspapers to an acceptable degree.
New vocabulary sets, sentences, and grammar rules are introduced through texts which are mainly in the form of dialogues about real life topics performed by native English speakers. This will help advance students’ English skills through listening to auditory materials and watching visual materials provided by OBA School for this course.
In this level, students will study the following English language skills:
Grammar skills of the English language related to the following
- Correct conjugations and their uses in different forms with the past, present, and future tenses as well as with and without pronouns
- Expressions used for adding emphasis
- Narrative tenses
- Questions and negation
- Expressing quantity
Vocabulary skills of the English Language related to the following
- Compound nouns
- Hot verbs like “make” and “do”, “take” and “put”
- Using antonyms in cases of prefixes
- Words with variable stresses
Dialogue skills for everyday life related to the following
- Casual conversation
- Talking about places
- Showing interest and surprise
- Replying to questions about daily life subjects
- Expressing opinions and needs politely
- Beginning and ending a phone call politely
- Expressions used in business
Reading and speaking skills related to the following
- Exchanging information
- Speaking about yourself or about family using different timeframes
Writing skills related to the following
- Writing formal and informal letters and emails
- Writing letters to friends
- Writing stories with a focus on setting the time
- Using conjunctions to join sentences
- Words and phrases used for applying to jobs
- Report writing
You will be qualified to begin with the Upper-Intermediate Level 6A if you meet either of the following two conditions:
1- Successfully completing the Intermediate 5A level.
2- Passing OBA School’s English Proficiency Test 1 and 2. You can take our free test by clicking here.
Once you have finished successfully studying the Upper-Intermediate Level 6A course, you can proceed to the Upper-Intermediate Level 6B English language course.
When Can you Enroll in the Course?
In the beginning of each month we have a new student intake but to ensure we have an exceptional service that can meet every ambition; we have made all our courses available for enrolment at any time of the year, but the formal start-off of any of the courses begins usually in the first of the following month of that you have enrolled in. That means you will have immediate access to the course materials where you can read the study guide, starter files and also can have a go with the study materials like watching the tutorial videos and eBooks till you get contacted in the beginning of the next month directly by one of our dedicated tutor who will explain to you the whole process.
Duration of the Course and Study Period
The duration of the Upper-Intermediate Level 6A course is two months. However, it does not necessarily need that long. As a reference for you to estimate accordingly, you would need around 100 hours of studying to complete the course. Hence you can schedule the duration based on dividing 100 hours by how many hours you plan to study per week resulting in the number of weeks required to finish the course.
Although the above method of estimation is only a guide, completing your course depends on several factors such as your employment situation. You could be a full-time employee, a part-time employee, or unemployed. Another factor would be your ability to dedicate time to study. Setting a study schedule is not difficult but committing to it needs determination and persistence. It would need to be remembered that it is your own responsibility to dedicate enough time to complete your studies.
The Equivalent Formal Test and Qualification from Cambridge
The Cambridge exam equivalent to the upper-intermediate level for the English language was FCE till 2018. The new test name from Cambridge is B2 First.
In order for you to acquire a formal recognised qualification from Cambridge, you have to complete studying the Upper-Intermediate level 6A and Upper-Intermediate Level 6B successfully with OBA School which prepares your to sit for the Cambridge Preliminary English Test First Certificate in English (FCE) in the British Council in your country of residence.
It is important to note that all OBA School internal exams are only to evaluate your performance during your course, and the formal exam that leads to a formal qualification from Cambridge is what carries all the marks.
The formal Cambridge test is optional; you may take it if you wish to gain an internationally accredited and recognised qualification. To take the test, you have to register at the British Council or any other approved exam center by Cambridge in your country of residence. After registration, you will be notified of the time and place of the test, which is usually at the British Council or at an approved exam center.
The exam centers’ or the British Council’s responsibility is to facilitate your exam by registering you for the exam, providing you with the exam papers under a controlled examination environment in their facility, and sending your exam answers to Cambridge in England. Cambridge will then mark them and issue your qualification directly and send it to the place where you will have taken your exam in order for you to receive it.
For more information about the FCE exam, please visit the related page on Cambridge’s website directly by clicking here.
A Summary of FCE Test by Cambridge
- Abbreviated name of the test: FCE
- Full name of the test: First Certificate in English
- The equivalent English course offered by OBA is the Upper-Intermediate level 6B
- The equivalent band range by IELTS: 5.0-7.0 as follows:
- A score of 60%-61% on the FCE is equivalent to IELTS band 5.0
- A score of 62%-69% on the FCE is equivalent to IELTS band 5.5
- A score of 70%-76% on the FCE is equivalent to IELTS band 6.0
- A score of 77%-85% on the FCE is equivalent to IELTS band 6.5
- A score of 87%-93% on the FCE is equivalent to IELTS band 7.0
- The equivalent Common European Framework of References (CEFR) level: B2
- Formal exam center: either at the British Council or a Cambridge-approved examination center in your country of residence
- The test format: computer-based or traditional paper-based, but with both there is a speaking test and a listening test
- Duration of the test: around 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Mark range on the Cambridge Scale for the English language level: 160-190
- Test availability: this test is available every month except in few cases
- When to register for the test: at least 3 months before the test date
- To check available test dates, please click here.
- To find out more about FCE, please click here.
- For information about the material that can help you prepare for this exam, please click here.
Why Take The FCE
The benefits of taking the FCE exam include:
- It is a widely acknowledged qualification by all British universities and is equivalent to a 5.0-7.0 on the IELTS as well as a B2 by the CEFR standards.
- This level qualifies as an acceptance standard equivalent to international Baccalaureate programs which is an admission requirement to universities where the language of instruction is English in non-English speaking countries.
- This level is of high credibility and is used by many educational institutions and universities in Britain as well as official national institutions including big companies and governmental bodies in English-speaking countries.
- Passing this level improves your chances at travelling or getting a job in the future.
After successfully finishing the Upper-Intermediate Level 6A and 6B, you will be at a stage where you are ready to apply to sit for the FCE exam available at the British Council in your country of residence.
When you apply to sit for this exam, you are expected to be able to:
- Communicate effectively face-to-face, express opinions and provide justifications, and follow news in English
- Write in English in a clear and detailed manner to express opinions and explain the strengths and flaws of different perspectives on different topics
- Write letters, reports, stories, and other forms of text well
What Does The FCE Look Like?
The Cambridge FCE exam is divided into four parts; the first part is reading and use of language, the second part is writing, the third part is listening, and the fourth part is speaking. They are divided as follows:
1- Exam in reading skills and use of language: duration of 1 hour and 15 minutes and counts for 40% of the exam score
2- Exam in writing skills: duration of 1 hour and 20 minutes and counts for 20% of the exam score
3- Exam in listening skills: duration of 40 minutes and counts for 20% of the exam score
4- Exam in speaking skills: duration of 14 minutes and counts for 20% of the exam
The FCE qualification is received by students who pass the exam. The student receives a certificate that is certified by the University of Cambridge and can be testified by the British Council at their country of residence
|FCE Exam||Reading and Use of Language||Writing||Listening||Speaking|
|Duration of the exam||1 hour and 15 minutes||1 hour and 20 minutes||40 minutes||14 minutes|
|Grade (out of 100)||%40||%20||%20||%20|
|FCE Exam||Content||Grade (out of 100)||Objective of the Exam|
|Reading and use of language (1 hour and 15 minutes)||30 questions in reading / 4 sections–42 questions||40%||Shows your ability to confidently handle any form of text like articles and in magazines as well as use grammar rules and vocabulary skills. Also shows the extent to which you can utilize your language skills by using correct grammar and vocabulary.|
|Writing (1 hour and 20 minutes)||2 sections||20%||Shows your ability to write different kinds of texts like articles, letters, and emails, as well as proposals and reports.|
|Listening (40 minutes)||30 questions in reading / 4 sections–42 questions||40%||Shows your ability to confidently handle any form of text like articles and in magazines as well as use grammar rules and vocabulary skills. Also shows the extent to which you can utilize your language skills by using correct grammar and vocabulary.|
|Speaking (14 minutes)||1 section||20%||Shows your ability to communicate effectively and face-to-face. Test will take place with another candidate.|
Exams Centers and Dates
Exams centers: to take the FCE exam, you have to communicate with the British Council or one of Cambridge exam centers in your country of residence. There are over 2800 Cambridge approved exams centers in 130 countries.
When you call any of the exams centers you would need to explain to them that you would like to register for Cambridge English Exam and give them the name of the test (A2-Key, B1-preliminary, B2 First and C1-Advanced), also please make sure you ask them about the test fees and make sure you complete your application and payment for the test you want to take with them. Cambridge English tests are available almost in monthly basis across the year. For more information on the test centres certified by Cambridge click here.
About Cambridge Qualifications for the English Language
Cambridge Assessment English organisation is part of the University of Cambridge that helps millions of people around the world to learn English and prove their skills on Cambridge scale of competency to distinguish their English language ability on a single standard which helps universities, government and employers to identify applicants proficiency in using English.
Cambridge created one of the most important English language qualifications worldwide, which have become an international standard and reference to judge a person’s linguistic skills in English. Cambridge English tests are well known and trusted by international private and international institutions all over the world.
Names of exams and qualifications by Cambridge English Assessment:
The University of Cambridge offers the largest collection of qualifications and exams for the English language for students. They include:
- IELTS, that in partnership with the British Council
- Cambridge English Qualifications, that is solely by Cambridge. That includes:
1- N KET (New name from Cambridge: A2 Key)
2- PET (New name from Cambridge: B1 Preliminary)
3- FCE (New name from Cambridge: B2 First)
4- CAE (New name from Cambridge: C1 Advanced)
5- CPE (New name from Cambridge: C2 Proficiency)
Facts and figures from the board of examination of Cambridge English Assessment:
- More than 5 million people around the world take Cambridge’s English tests each year.
- Cambridge has over 2800 approved examination centers across 130 countries around the world.
- The exams offered by Cambridge English Assessment institution is the longest experience and most known international standard in designing and awarding English quantifications. The examination board began its activities in 1913, giving it more than 100 years of experience.
For more information on the Cambridge qualifications please click here.
OBA School Tests and Assignments
How Will You Learn?
We are so confident of the materials we offer. We believe that the learning and supporting we offer to our students is equivalent to the traditional real school services if not more!
What you will Benefit from OBA School
Our courses are just as real as the full-time courses at a traditional school premises. There will be no paper pack to send to you by OBA to learn from that is because we at OBA do not believe studying from books in your own can be an effective way to learn for a distance learning student, rather we provide you with one of the best ways to learn from home through our online eLearning platform where you will find all your materials that include tutorial videos covers all of the curriculum lesson by lesson so you can watch your lessons and hear the explanation directly from the tutors compared to the old fashion of distance learning via silent books.
As a student with OBA School, you will benefit from the following services and advantages:
1- You will have all of the study materials 24/7 on our eLearning platform.
2- Every lesson from the curriculum is made available to you on a tutorial video format, you’ll have a full control, rewind and replay as many times as you like.
3- Ongoing internal exams and assignments similar to exams questions format. The goal of this is to continuously assess your progress and knowledge so you can identify your strong and week areas in the related course subject thus would allow you to work on improving your weak areas so by the time you sit for your exam you will be well prepared.
4- OBA will provide you with an adjustable study schedule in order for you to work at your own pace. Speeding up or slowing down by modifying your study schedule the way that suits you to meet up with your formal exam date accurately.
5- You will have access to the student forum: it is a place in your course page online where you can address any question related to the course and discuss it with your students colleagues and tutors for discussion. Such forum is proven to be very helpful and beneficial tools for the students.
6- The content of the site will adapt to students’ requests and additional tutorials and examples will be added regularly based on students’ feedback and arising needs.
7- Top quality tuition guaranteed. All tutorials are designed and provided to you by qualified teachers.
8- We are so confident of our learning materials and we believe that the learning and supporting we offer to our students is equivalent to the traditional full-time school services if not more!
9- You will be able to work without having to sacrifice your job to attend classes, since all the lessons are available to you at all times for you to be able to set your own study time. You don’t have to worry about leaving work early to head to class or coming home late from class. Your study time is now your own to decide and can be from the comfort of your own home!
We are very confident of our teaching materials that we offer to our students and we know that in many cases the quality and support we provide equate and exceed in sometimes what is presented in traditional full-time educational institutions.
Support and Communication
What I Will Need to Study
You will need a good internet connection, computer, study desk, chair, stationary and the notebooks and most importantly you would need to create enough time to study your courses with approximately 6 to 10 hours a week.
Enrollment and Payment Options
Our promise to you
Because at OBA School we want each and every one of our students to succeed in their studies, we make you this promise: if for any reason you should fail your formal external examination with Cambridge English Assessment after you have completed your course and successfully done all your internal exams and after you have attended at least 80% of the course’s virtual live classes with us, we will provide you with an extension to your course and support at no extra charge until the next available examination comes up.
What your Course Fees Covers
1-Two months of enrolment with access to OBA School’s online eLearning platform where you find your course materials and resources.
2-Weekly scheduled live virtual classes to practice speaking English and exercises
3-Support and guidance throughout the course
4-An adjustable study schedule program
5-Follow-ups on your progress with your internal exams including marking and feedback
6-Access to the student forum of each respective course you are enrolled in
That's it! Thank you and we wish you all the best of luck with your studies!